Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Naner Bread & Bugs

I wish I had something more interesting to say, but hubby is in Chicago working and I've been left at home to my own devices.  Right now, that doesn't mean a whole lot unfortunately.  I have about three more weeks that I'm working for my job remotely, so my days are spent with a laptop on my lap watching re-runs of America's Next Top Model, applying for jobs, and doing some web design.

And at the moment, the job hunt isn't going very well.



That's pretty discouraging, because I've never had a problem finding any job in my life.  Everything from tutoring to career web design jobs, it just short of happened to me.  I suppose this is a good experience, letting me know that I'm not god or anything... but dammit I'd like a little bit of validation please.

Instead, I spent tonight alone with my dogs trying to validate myself through cooking and getting the bugs out of my house.  I don't know if it's this old house we're renting, or Texas and that whole southern heat thing, or the huge gaping hole in my porch door (well, I'm certain that has something to do with it) - but my house is infested with bugs.  We have beetles, flies, fruit flies, and the occasional spider - joy!  I googled fruit fly traps, and have had a cup with really nice organic balsamic vinagarette out for days... but the flies just laughed at my fancy vinegar and refused to die in it like they were supposed to.  I'm now resorting to moving all of hubby's fruit into the refrigerator, where it may never ripen but HOPEFULLY will not attract anymore fruit flies. 

On the cooking front, I rounded off the evening with home-made healthy banana nut bread.  I don't like bananas, but in bread form they're okay.  Plus the damn things were probably attracting more flies.  I would have taken a picture, but alas I already zipped the bread up in a bag and hid it in the refrigerator so it wouldn't get swarmed by insects.  Here's the recipe, sort of a mix of my own and something off of all recipes. 

Healthy Banana Nut Bread

2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Agave Nectar
2 eggs (can be left out or substituted for apple sauce for vegan bread)
1/3 cup butter / buttery spread
3 smushed bananas
1/2 cup pecans

Cook at 350 (like you cook everything in the world) until it's risen some and is just starting to brown on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment